Chicken and olive Tajine is one of the famous dishes in the Mediterranean food of north Africa. It ‘s mostly a special dish in Morocco and Algeria. I personally cook this dish at least once a week. The persevered lemon and olives add a special flavor to the chicken. This dish cooks best in a Tajine ( I have this one), but a stockpot is also good.
How to make chicken and olive Tajine
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 onion, diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch saffron (1 tsp turmeric can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon fresh shredded ginger
- 2 cups of water or homemade chicken broth
- 1/2 pound kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 preserved lemon (buy it here)
- 1 medium tomato
- Melt the fat in a large stockpot over medium heat
- Add in chicken and onion with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Sauté the chicken for 10 minutes until it starts to golden.
- Add the the saffron, cilantro, parsley, ginger and blended tomato
- Add in the water or chicken broth
- Simmer the chicken in the broth for 30 minutes uncovered
- Add the olives and lemon to the pot and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and rost for 10minutes on medium broil.
- Put the chicken in a serving plate and poor the sauce on top
(always use organic produce and pasture raised animals for best taste and health!)
Be Sure to PIN IT!
You may also like these recipes