I made this Insect repellent for my brother to take it to his camping trip and he said that this is the first time he has gone camping without getting all sorts of bites all over his body. I told him to spray his body as well as the inside of the tent before bed as the night is is most likely a favorite time for insects to get their meals from our skin.
I am planing to send this spray with my kids on their trip to Algeria, North Africa in few weeks too. It’s pretty hot there and there is all sorts of insects especially during the night.
Most store bought insect repellent contain DEET. It has been shown to have a negative impact on wildlife and water sources in production and during use. DEET is toxic to birds and aquatic life. DEET has been found in approximately 75 percent of U.S. water sources, including the Mississippi River.
This bug repellent really works and it’s 100% free of DEET and other chemicals found in most of the store bought sprays.
Homemade natural Insect repellent Spray recipe
Ingredients ( These ingredients are for a 16 oz bottle)
- 25 drops basil essential oil ( buy it here )
- 25 drops purification essential oil ( buy it here )
- 6 ounces Natural Witch Hazel ( buy it here )
- 10 ounces Distilled or boiled Water
- 1 glass spray bottle ( buy it here ) You can also reuse any empty glass spray bottle.
- Pore the water and witch hazel in the spray bottle
- Add the essential oils
- Shake it well before each use
Note: If you want the spray to stay longer you can eliminate the water and witch hazel and just use fractionataned coconut oil. In this case you can put 30 drops of each essential oils.
Do you have some similar recipes you would like to share? Add them in a comment.