Cauliflower was not one of my favorite vegetable before discovering some really yummy recipes like the one I am sharing with you today. I love anything made with béchamel sauce. After going grain free I didn’t prepare any dishes that I use to make before . I just thought to myself why not try it with coconut flour. It worked really well and was happy to enjoy the texture of béchamel with even a more flavorful taste. I actually really ended up loving it better than the one made with white flour.
Today’s recipes is very easy and I am certainly sure that you will love the taste.
You can also apply the same steps below for a broccoli Casserole or even better, a combination of both cauliflower and broccoli.
How to make this paleo Cauliflower casserole with béchamel sauce
- 1 big cauliflower head or 2 small
- A pinch of salt. I buy this kind
- A pinch pepper
For the béchamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter. I buy this kind
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour. I buy this kind
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder. I buy this kind
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream (for dairy free)
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (for dairy free omit cheese)
- In a double boiler, steam the cauliflower/broccoli sprinkled with salt and pepper until it’s it’s tender.
- Pour into a baking dish
Preparation of the Béchamel sauce:
- Put butter in a pan and let it melt at low temperature
- Add coconut flour and mix really quick
- Add the whipping cream and keep steering
- Cook for about 10 mittens at low temperature
- Add arrowroot powder
- Add water and salt and pepper
- Let cook 5 more minutes
- Add cream cheese
- The sauce should not be too loose, nor too hard. If you see that there is few nibs that didn’t melt put it in a food processor for few seconds.
- Preheat the Oven at 350
- Pour the sauce on top of the cauliflower/broccoli
- Add the shredded Gruyere cheese on top
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top starts to golden.
Be Sure To PIN IT